After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
o Define operating system.
o Describe commonly used operating systems.
o Explain the following types of operating system:
• Batch Processing Operating System .
• Multiprogramming Operating System .
• Multitasking Operating System .
• Time-sharing Operating System .
• Real-time Operating System .
• Multiprocessor Operating System .
• Parallel Processing Operating System .
• Distributed Operating System .
• Embedded Operating System .
o Define Single-user and Multi-user Operating Systems
o Describe the following main functions of operating system:
• Process Management.
• Memory Management.
• File Management.
• 1/0 System Management.
• Secondary Storage Management.
• Network Management.
• Protection System .
• Command interpreter.
o Define Process.
o Describe new, running, waiting/blocked, ready and terminated states of process.
o Differentiate between the following:
• Thread and process.
• Multi-threading and multitasking
• Multitasking and multiprogramming